Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Walls come down, then go up

Our weekend was very, very eventful. As you know, we are dabbling in the home improvement arena and first up, our living room. The house is over 40 years old and after numerous attempts to push those pesky nail pops back in and flatten out the cracking seams, enough was enough. So...the walls came down

And the ceiling


And look what we found behind one wall, evidence of a nice family I will never want to meet:

Luckily, I was able to be "off the schedule" during this demolition as my dad came to help us.

So during a nice dinner out with some girlfriends, the walls came down, along with the dust. Once it settled, we were up bright and early Saturday, to put them back up! Through all of this, masks and goggles were definitely worn.
Attractive, I know. But hey, my lungs and eyes are very important to me so I suited up. So the process began. As you can see behind me in this last picture, there isn't much of a stud coming off of the cynderblock wall. So we added on some 2x4 on both ends of the room, this way when we want to hang something, no need to drill into the cement, soo much nicer.

We also tore down the old insulation (R7) and put up new (R13), can you say, lower heat bills and warmer house! And the walls went up. You can see in this picture there is lovely, new recessed lighting as well. I have more pictures of this to come. Just wanted to share a bit of our progress so far. Hopefully after this weekend, we will be on our way to painting.



So any tips on what we should paint our living room? The floors are dark wood, couches are dark green and we will be having white crown molding when it is all said and done. I am thinking tan, any more exciting ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment